Sunday 7 March 2010

Well I guess I should confess that I am starting to get old, all the latest music fads all passed me by and left me cold

Onto part two of my TYSIC, and the one which will probably make up the bulk of my posts, for the first few months, at least. This is my promise to listen to an album a week for 10 years. At first I was going to pledge to listen to new albums (as in ones made in the last 5 years), but, aftr thinking about it I've extended it to any album in any genre that I've never heard, and would probably have never considered listening to.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm suddenly feeling very old. I've no idea what's number one any more, and to be honest I don't really care. I can't remember the last time I bought a new album, and, unless you count downloading Rage Against The Machine at Christmas, I've not bought a single in about 8 years. I don't want to be like this. I love music, I love the joy you get from hearing a song you love unexpectedly being played on the radio, I love putting a much loved album on and singing along, loudly and tunelessly. But these days this happens less and less. I've started to dismiss all new music as rubbish without giving it a chance.

I swore when I was 18 that I would never get like this. Obviously very few people are as obsessive and passionate about bands and music in their 20's as they were in their teens (it would be exhausting, not to mention expensive), but my lack of interest in anything I don't already own is quite sad, really. I'm bored of everything I own, but make no effort to discover anything new. But now, this will change. I will find new music, I will find new bands/artists to fall in love with, to obsess over, to sing along badly to. Who knows, once the boy is a bit older I might even start going to gigs again. (Apart from Glastonbury, which I miss for no-one. He's being put in a backpack and coming with me)

When I've asked for music recommendations the first thing people have asked what I already like. I've said it doesn't matter as I will listen to anything (up to and including death metal and country and western), but, if it helps, these are the albums that I play most
Manic Street Preachers- All albums except Lifeblood. Lifeblood didn't happen in my universe.
Frank Turner- Love, Ire and Song. My adoration of Frank Turner gives me hope that I can still find new music I love.
Hole- Live Through This
Rufus Wainwright- Want One/Release The Stars.
Pulp- His 'n' Hers
Guns 'n' Roses- Appetite For Destruction

The Auteurs, Bikini Kill, Sex Pistols, Imagined Village, Marilyn Manson, Suede, Mika and The Levellers also get semi regularly played too. Basically, anything that isn't any of the above will be put on a list to be listened to at some point in the future.

2 comments:

  1. i find that when i get LESS recommendations from people, i'm more likely to listen to them. if somebody gives me a list of 30 books, i will probably ignore all of them. So... i've tried to pick as few as possible:

    Ben Folds Five-- Whatever And Ever Amen.
    Bright Eyes-- Digital Asn In A Digital Urn.
    Incubus-- A Crow Left Of The Murder.
    Joanna Newsom-- Ys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try:

    The decemberists - the hazards of love.

    I would describe it as a alternative/folk/prog concept album about forbidden love.
    One of the best albums of 2009 IMO.

    (also, can you somehow allow for commenting without needing a blogger/google/etc account? I had to use google and my main blog is on tumblr).

    ReplyDelete