Thursday 11 March 2010

TYSIC-year one, week one. A progress report.

So here we are, one week into a project which will end when I'm nearly 40. OK, 38 and a half, but that's close enough to 40 to scare me.
What have I achieved? Well, on the world domination through cake bit, not a lot. I've asked to be notified by my local college when they next run a cake decorating course, and there's not much else I can do until I start with that. Though I did make a coffee cake which was rather nice, even if I do say so myself. I've decided that even if I can't do much on the decorating front I can practice baking. I'm going to be obese by the time I'm 35...

Music- I've listened to 3 albums that I otherwise whouldn't have bothered with. First was Rage Against The Machine's debut, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (I like my shouty music to be made by girls), but I don't think I'd listen to it again. Next up was Boxer by The National, as one of my friends has been raving about it. Unfortunately it left me cold (sorry Kelly!), but I'll give it one more go before writing it off. The third was Picaesque, by The Decemberists. To be honest, I've not finished listening to it yet (I've got it on now, my earlier attempts have been thwarted by the boy waking up from his naps), but so far I like it. This is a major step forward for me, I've not listened to an album by an artist I've not heard before and liked it in about 2 years. Lyrically they remind me of The Auteurs, for some reason, and that can only be a good thing in my book. Don't sound anything like them though, I don't think there's anyone in the world who sounds quite like Luke Haines (This, also, can only be a good thing, I'm sure a lot of people would think). Picaresque, incidentally, is one of the albums recommended to me by the TYSIC mastermind himself, so I'm quite glad it's good.

The parenting thing. Hmm. I still think I'm a bit rubbish at it, and the fact I think that is the reason that being a good parent is one of my challenges. I'm sure I'm doing everything right, and Nicky is a happy little soul (most of the time), but I still feel inadequate. Trouble is, being a good parent isn't something you get instant feedback on. If, in 10 years time, he's not a fledgling psychopath, I'll say I've succeeded. Until then, I'll just keep muddling along. We're trying for number 2, I wouldn't be wanting to inflict myself as a parent on another poor unfortunate child if I thought I was that bad, right?

Bring on week 2!

3 comments:

  1. The Decemberists are amazing! Try Their Castaways and cutouts and the crane wife albums too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Glad to hear you are enjoying Pica. I was actually listening to it myself earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I recommended the decemberists on one of your first blog posts!!
    I do think that "the hazards of love" is even better than picaresque. So there, you know where to go next :)
    keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete