Tuesday 16 March 2010

I hate thinking of titles...

I've been having a think about this parenting thing. One thing that I want to do as a parent is expose Nicky to all sorts of experiences that aren't part of day to day life. Now, I don't mean I'm going to take him travelling around the world (as much as I'd love to, but alas I don't have the money for that), just, every so often, do something unusual.
To do this, I need ideas. So far I've come up with:
Go to Glastonbury. We're doing this in June. It'll either be the greatest weekend of his life so far, or a miserable disaster. I'm sure it'll be the former...

Go to the Olympics. Now, I dont know if this will be feasable, as he'll only be 3 by the time the Olympics come round, and I don't know if it'll be something he'll be interested in. But if we can find something he wants to go and watch, we'll go.

Try new foods. I don't want him to be a fussy eater, so I want to expose him to as many different foods as possible. I even want him to eat curry, even though the smell of it makes me feel slightly ill.

Travel abroad. That might not sound like much, but I didn't go abroad with my parents until I was 16. I don't feel like I missed out on much, and I've certainly made up for it now, but I want to take him on a plane when he's young and expose him to other languages and cultures. Besides, I don't want to give up my holidays! We're taking him to Rhodes in September, to start this one off.

That's all I can think of for now-does anyone else have any ideas? What kind of thing would you have loved to have done with your parents as a child? Inspire me!

In other news, I've listened to 2 more albums. Fantasy Black Channel by Late Of The Pier, and Say I Am You by The Weepies. I didn't really like either of them, but I tried, which is more than I would have done pre-TYSIC.
Oh, and thank you if you've voted for me in the MP3 player contest. I'm extremely flattered that people think that I'm worthy, and its given my self-esteem a much needed boost. So, cheers for that :)

3 comments:

  1. I hate to break this to you, but as the mother of a 19yr old who got to go to Australia aged 3 months, Hawaii aged 6 months, and Spain aged 18 months, travels and stuff before the age when lasting memory really kicks in (age 5 in my son's case - and in mine) just annoy them later on ('stop saying I've been to these places - what good is it when I don't remember it!). Best thing is to include your child in everything you enjoy because YOU enjoy it. Oh, and maybe save up for some really fantastic trips once he's a bit older and will remember them. (Best holidays with my 2 boys weren't always the most exotic ones, but our week in Denver Colorado one October when they were about 6 and 8 remains a particular highlight. Their favourite aspect of the whole trip? Fun with static electric shocks from the carpet in the hotel!!! Ah, the simple pleasures....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure where you live so this might not be as easy but when I was a kid my parents would take me on trips to all the castles, lochs and museums I absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traveling far with parents can be a bit of a drag. Day trips were my favorite thing to do with them. An hour in the car an hour back, way less time being cramped miserable hot and needing to pee...often. The other thing my parents did that was great was we had a ritual of Sunday family days. there was a little cafe/cinema that did family matinees on Sundays (it was the 70's, so we saw Free to Be You and Me...often) and my personal favorite: the Museum of Science. Money was really tight but they bought a family pass and me went at least once a month. My brother and I walked through it like we owned the place. We had favorite exhibits and stuff we visited every time. His was computers, mine was NASA and mathematics, stuff that still gets us psyched today, so that ploy really worked. We also went to free days at the Museum of Fine Arts which we liked so much we kept going way after we outgrew doing stuff with our parents. We were the only kids we knew that had favorite Renaissance painters. We were not very nerdy kids (believe it or not) but anytime we showed the slightest interest they would try and feed it for as long as possible. Also, peace demonstrations...often. Much less fun. Did I mention my parents were hippies?

    ReplyDelete