Thursday 25 March 2010

TYSIC-year one, week three. A progress report.

I have to admit that it's not been a great week for my TYSIC, I seem to have lost the initial urge to get out and make my life better. I'll put it down to tiredness, and I resolve that next week will be better.
1. Cakes- Not made any progress here, unless you count standing in Sainsbury's looking at food colourings, and trying to work out if it'll be better to buy a box of ready coloured icing, or try to learn to make royal icing and colour it myself. I think I'm going to go for a compromise, and buy a box of white royal icing and some food dye. All this is for Nicholas's birthday cake, which I will be making this time next week. Eep!

2. Music- As I've blogged previously, I've managed to listen to 2 albums in the last 7 days, and have a 50% success rate in finding something I like. This is the highlight of my TYSIC this week. As I type this I'm listening to Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons. It's ok, but nothing spectacular- I don't think its one I'll listen to more than once. But I'm trying, and that's what's important.

3. Parenting- This has been up and down, but mostly up. We've had 5 out of 6 good nights sleep this week (by good nights I mean only waking up once, and not until 1-2am) He even stayed asleep until 6.15am this morning, which is the longest he's slept in for a couple of weeks. The more, better quality sleep we all have, the easier life is for everyone.
One thing I did do, in my quest to be a good example, is give blood. I've been meaning to do it for years, but I've always managed to put it off, or find an excuse. But I could put it off no longer, and on Monday I finally did it. And it was easy, despite the needle reminding me of one of the straws you put in a Capri-Sun pouch. Seriously, I'm not scared of needles, but it was huge! I got tea, biscuits and a sticker out of it, as well as a smug feeling that comes with doing a good deed, so all in all it was a good thing. Only problem is that I might not be able to do ti again for a while- the nurse told me that they try to discourage women who are actively trying to get pregnant from donating, as they don't know how it could affect a developing embryo. (We'll be on our way home from Glastonbury when the next session is on so I'd have to miss it anyway.)

I've added an extra, mini-challenge to all of this, inspired by Mark's blog yesterday. From now on I'm going to try and say at least one nice thing to my husband every day. When you have a small child around it can be difficult to remember that you're part of a couple as well as a parent, and we've both slipped into bad habits-not talking about anything other than baby stuff, snapping at each other because we're tired, that sort of thing. So I'm going to be nice. Or, at the very least, less nasty.

2 comments:

  1. Mumford & Sons = Del Amitri.

    You know I'm right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know this isn't technically part of your challenge, but I thought I'd let you know that I find you quite inspiring and based my mini challenge off of yours, so thanks ;D

    ReplyDelete